In just a few weeks, my oldest heads off to college.
As I pass by the baby clothes at Target, I remember vividly those days of buying diapers and praying I can get through the day with young babies and toddlers.
Now I'm buying dorm room supplies and holding back the tears. Everything is about to change. It's a whole new stage of parenting. The bird is flying away from the nest. It's time for him to fly.
As I've been on coaching calls during the last few weeks, I'm helping many of you map out your goals and where you should be focusing. Website? SEO? Google ads? Facebook ads? Hiring team? Those goals are completely dependent upon the stage your business is in. We have to customize our path based on where we are and where we are going!
Maybe you're a parent and well acquainted of these stages. Now let's see how they apply to your businesses, too!
Which one describes your business?? I'd love to hear!
Baby Business Characteristics:
· Your business is fairly new, and seems to need a lot of time and attention
· Sometimes things seem quiet, like the business is sleeping.
· You’re not quite sure what to do with this baby or if you’re doing things right.
· You’re still testing things out and not even sure if what you’re doing is sustainable.
· The right name
· Clear marketing message
· Website and SEO
· Set up a FB page
· Start an email list
· Write a monthly newsletter
Toddler Business Characteristics:
· Super busy, and your business can feel overwhelming.
· You feel scattered, like there’s always a mess somewhere.
· You’re distracted and not sure if you should hire help or just get more organized.
· You know you need some systems but are tired and can hardly see straight.
· Your systems
· Hire one admin to be your assistant
· Say “no” to things that are not income-producing
· Work on boundaries and margin
Teenaged Business Characteristics:
· You’ve been in business awhile and you’re ready for some freedom
· You can’t take a vacation or get away without basically shutting everything down
· You know you need some freedom from the business, but you’re not sure which steps to take in which order
Work on this:
· Hire multipliers to do the work that you do
· Increase your admin help
· Increase your marketing
· Tighten up your systems
· Increase checks and balances and visibility of what you expect
· Be the CEO and the manager of your company
Young Adult Characteristics:
· Your business doesn’t need you as much for the day to day operations.
· You can go on vacation!
· You’re profitable!
· Your staff is handing things for you.
· The business is running itself at this point and you have a lot more freedom.
Work on this:
· The business still needs you. You will still need to check in with your staff and act as their coach.
· Regular staff meetings are recommended, although you may have a manager handling the bulk of the meetings.
· Continue to make the high level decisions and oversee marketing and hiring.
· Life is good! You should be able to work from anywhere, you are not location bound, you will have a lot more freedom, and you will have money flowing in to show for all your labors!!
· Decide if you’d like to start a second location, start a second business, sell the business, or retire!
Watch this week's video!
Facebook Groups: Free Training!
Did you miss it? We had 3 power-packed trainings on how to use Facebook groups to grow your local business!
You can still watch! The videos will remain up for 1 week! Then they will be transfered to our Inner Circle, for only members.
Join the group here to watch these free trainings!
Join the free group here!
Want to be the FIRST to know when the Never Alone Inner Circle opens up again? Get on our waiting list here. We will let you know FIRST (before it goes public) when we are accepting new members!
On Friday night, being the wild party people that we are, my daughters and I went shopping at Target for school supplies. I don't know about you, but those new notebooks and binders and pencils make me soooo happy! Yes, we homeschool, but it doesn't mean we don't need new school supplies--we just aren't slaving over the list from the district, muttering to ourselves, trying to find the exact right 3 pronged folder! We are like frolicking deer, dancing through the aisles, exclaiming, "Oh! We need these pens! Look at these notebooks for 99 cents! Don't we need more of these?"
When we got home, the girls organized their stuff, decorated the front of their binders, and my 11 year old grabbed her laptop and said, "Give me a topic. An animal." And then she proceeded to write a little research paper on monarch butterflies! I'm telling you. Homeschooling is weird. But also awesome.
So whether you're starting school or waiting for Labor Day, we are all in the mood and even though we still have lots of summer fun planned for this month, we are definitely chomping at the bit for the new semester to begin!
To add a little fun to our month, I'm doing a Free Challenge called Grow Your Business Using Facebook Groups.
It's free. You just have to request to join our Free Facebook Group, "Creatives Growing a Local Business," HERE:
Listen. Marketing a local business is different than marketing an online business. I've taken all the courses. Watched all the webinars. Tried all the things. But that stuff is different than selling to clients that are local to you or promoting a brick and mortar location! I've wasted a LOT of time and energy on trying to learn stuff that did not work for my music school.
But I've found a few nuggets of gold that DO work, so I'm going to share them with you.
The Challenge begins Wednesday, August 7 and will be 3 days of power packed content and Q and A's so you can get the answers to all your questions. Everything is happening IN that free Facebook group (which, duh, is because we are talking about GROUPS).
You've probably noticed that it's hard to get engagement and eyeballs on your business Facebook Page (it's 100% possible and I teach the strategies in our Inner Circle, but it's still HARD and takes money) but Facebook looooooves promoting groups and it's a fabulous way to grow community and connection so people will buy from you! Woot!
So come hang out with us. There will be fun and prizes for those who participate, cuz that's just who I am. I like a fun competition.
Every time you comment, you'll be entered into a drawing.
ONE person will win a free month's subscription in to our Never Alone Inner Circle.
Others will win a free copy of my book, "Happy Kids, Growing Biz," and just for being in the group, you'll get an advance copy of my NEW book, which is all about how to use the power of online marketing for your local business. (Yes! Finally I'm speaking up about this. Soooo important to nail the difference in types of businesses and use the RIGHT strategy for your local business.)
If you're a coach or consultant, this info is NOT for you. That's a different strategy.
If you're an MLM, this is not for you either. You have your own strategies.
If you are selling appointments or services and are reaching a LOCAL crowd of people, I've got you covered. That's my expertise and that's where we will be focusing.
I'm obsessed with Facebook. I am. I KNOW it's where the people are hanging out, so I research FB strategies every single day. Our music school enrolled 7 students in ONE weekend and all I did is run a Facebook ad and test out some new FB video ads! (And YES, I used Groups as a part of this strategy!)
We surpassed our goal in July and enrolled 30 new students! In one month! All from Facebook and emails. Seriously. We didn't do anything else! No radio, TV, newspaper. All too expensive and ineffective for my school. I'm just leveraging the power of Facebook and using strategic emails to compel people to call us or stop by for a tour. And it works!
Anyway. If any of this is interesting to you, you have nothing to lose. Join the group, hang out, try some new strategies, and get those new clients!
If summer has been quiet or depressingly slow for you, it's almost fall and that means business will pick up! Yahoo! Let's be ready for the rush and on our toes, ready to rumble.
Let's do this. Together.
Find this group. Ask to join. It's free.
Fun, Entertaining, Encouraging Stuff You Might Have Missed This Week:
Chris and I talked about homeschooling our kids and what really matters to us and the measuring stick we use to know whether we are failing or not.
Find that here:
I went on a fun rant about motherhood and working and fall schedules for busy moms here. It's almost an hour long, so just fold your laundry or something while you watch. We can hang out together and laugh a little:
I put all of our best videos on YouTube, so if you're a YouTube person, subscribe here! (Help me out- I have a pathetic 15 subscribers!)
About the Author
Hi, I'm Jen Hickle!