I've been talking to a lot of business owners lately who are absolutely stressed by the feast and famine of their business.
One month will be a record month and the next they are wondering if any money will come in.
It's super stressful and causes them to PUSH their marketing (desperate for something to work and bring in new business!) and then, when things dry up, they have to start PUSHING again. Plus, they find that it is super hard to even pay for marketing when no money is coming in!
I've been there. I remember times of digging in the bottom of our freezer to find whatever food was still there to feed my family and avoid the grocery store completely (because it was the end of the month and we were out of money).
So how do you avoid the ebb and flow of cash problems?
1. Set your clients up on autopay. What could they pay for every single month (like Netflix) and then you can consistently deliver a service or product? You would only have to get their credit card ONCE. No more selling, selling, selling. One and done.
2. Sell once and continue the relationship. It's hard to keep selling something over and over. Instead, build a relationship and have them stay for years. Really lean into what they want, what they need, and how they will feel cared for. This relationship piece is the secret sauce to keep people with you for a long time.
3. Do your marketing strategically, when people are most likely to respond (hint: this does not mean advertising on every holiday, like every other business out there). You have to track when are people buying from you. When are they responding? And when are they distracted by other things? By tracking this, then you can put your marketing money in place when you are most likely to get the most responses. Farmers plant in the spring, not in the early fall when they are desperate for a good harvest.
4. Really, truly understand your audience. People are busy! They don't want to have to consistently re-evaluate and keep saying "yes" to you. They want to say YES once and then keep the relationship with you. Then, they cancel when needed.
5. Creatively package your services so that people have an all-inclusive feel. I LOVE Disney vacations where everything is included. I can just relax and enjoy the vacation when I know all our snacks and meals are rolled into the price. I don't have to freak out about buying one more water bottle. I want my clients to feel the same way. Free recital. Free picture day. Free awards and trophies.
If you are still selling one item at a time, how can you implement this concept? (If you sell retail, how could you get creative and set people up on memberships? I know you can. Listen--I have my toilet paper and paper towels on auto ship so I know you can do this!)
I'm so thankful that my YMCA doesn't ask me if I want to continue every month! I would say "forget it!" Instead, we bought a membership and whether we go or not, we still pay. It reminds me of the importance of fitness and makes me prioritize the commitment I made to myself!
How can you incorporate this into YOUR business model?
By setting up programs or packages, you can sleep better at night.
Then, by putting your marketing on auto pilot (like I teach in The Strategic Biz Marketing System), you truly will have a business that is not feast or famine, but a steady flow of income for your family.
Sometimes all it takes is looking at things slightly differently for everything to click into place.
If you need some help with this, join our free Facebook community. Let's brainstorm this together. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1715473611806455/
You're smart. You're talented. You can do this. I believe in you!
Welcome to all of our new members to our Never Alone Inner Circle!
What they're saying: "I'm incredibly excited about this group. I have already read the Happy Kids, Growing Biz book and have already done some work with Chris and Jen. This Inner circle is SO what I have been needing."
"I have been working with Jen and Chris for about a year now. They created an amazing website for me and have helped with my marketing as well. I look forward to learning more and gaining insight and direction as I implement new services. "
"Jen and Chris created my website. I am so SO thankful for this group and being able to fully understand what to do next. I've felt a little lost lately! Happy to meet all of you."
Regarding the November training video in the Inner Circle:
"This will help me tremendously to focus! I'm doing this today."
"Oh my gosh Jen! I am setting this up right now and I am LOVING it even more than I thought I would!!"
A BIG Congrats to those who have recently published a new website! We are so happy for you!
Daisy at Steamboat Academy of Music
Klondike at Orpheus Music Academy
Rick at Los Angeles Music Teachers
Renee at Valley Conservatory
Do you need a new website?
Is your site 2-3 years old? Out of date? Can't edit it? Web person is MIA?
We can help. Now is a great time to get this project done before the January rush!
Book a call here and let's get this done. I promise that we make this a PAINLESS process for you!
Our full time mission is helping YOUR business grow!
Hi, I'm Jen Hickle!